Whiterose Designs by Debra

Make Your Style Standout

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Caregivers

The world is full of Us, but we are the silent hard worker's, deriving fulfillment in knowing we are making an impact on someone's life.  I feel so much joy just knowing I am providing the best possible care I can to my beloved husband.

Why am I writing about this?  Well yesterday we had to attend a memorial service for a long time friend and another friend came up to me after the services.  This is what she said, "How are YOU doing, I know everyone ask's you about your husband, but how are YOU doing?'.....

It struck me instantly how many times people unknowingly put forth the effort to ask about the one that is recovering or sick, but forgets to really ask about the one providing the care. 

For those that are reading this blog for the first time, my husband has had 3 major surgeries to replace both knees and his left hip all within 6 months.  He is the first ever in our area to have such done all together so closely.  And he is doing great, by the way!!!

But it really has been a very long and strenuous road for me, and please don't take this the wrong way, I am NOT complaining.  Those that are very close to me, know I provided care for both our father's, providing hospice care for both of them til they passed.  And I do this all because I really do enjoy giving them the care they need. 

Every time they stop and really thank me for all I do, my heart just melts, knowing how much they truly appreciate all I do.  But for all of US that work so hard in such an effort to make their lives a bit easier to cope with their recoveries or their illnesses, it really is hard work.  So having this friend stop and not just ask about my husband, but to ask about me, was really really touching.

My husband has been home full time either bed bound or chair bound for 8 months now, and will be home til the middle of July.  We have enjoyed this time so much together, and I really do not know what I will do when he has to go back to work.  I do keep myself busy, with blogging, sewing, making jewelry and many other little things, so I am sure I will readjust.  But having him hear just to talk to has been such a joy, and I will really miss that.

I have learned so much in being a caregiver, and I know there is alot more of us out there, so let me know, how do you manage?  How do you keep busy and maintain your happiness?  I would love to hear, and also if I can provide additional support, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment